Frequently Asked Questions (FaQ)
What is Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) / FASTag?
NHAI has rolled out program for Electronic Toll Collection on Toll Plazas on National Highways to be called FASTag.
FASTag is a device that employs Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology for making toll payments directly from the prepaid account linked to it. It is affixed on the windscreen of your vehicle and enables you to drive through toll plazas. FASTag has a validity of 5 years and after purchasing it, you only need to recharge/ top up the FASTag as per your requirement. FASTag offers near non-stop movement of vehicles through toll plazas and the convenience of cashless payment of toll fee with nation-wide interoperable Electronic Toll Collection Services.
What are the benefits of using FASTag?
- Ease of payment – No need to carry cash for the toll transactions, saves time
- Near non-stop movement of vehicles leading to lower fuel cost.
- Online Recharge – FASTag can be recharged online through Credit Card / Debit Card / NEFT/ RTGS or Net banking
- SMS alerts for toll transactions, low balance, etc.
- Online Portal for customers
- Validity of 5 Years
- Incentive: You can avail a cashback of 10% on all Toll payments using FASTag in 2016-17
- Other benefits are: Environmental benefit Social benefit Economic benefit
- Reduced air pollution
- Reduced use of paper
- Reduced toll payment hassles
- Analytics for better highway management
- Reduced effort in management at toll plaza
- Reduced effort in monitoring centrally
Is there any incentive / discount on Toll payments using FASTag?
Customer can avail a cash back of 10% on all Toll payments using FASTag in FY 2016-17. The cash back amount for a particular month will be credited back to your FASTag account within a week of subsequent month.
Can a FASTag bought for my one vehicle be used for another vehicle?
No, FASTag is issued to each vehicle based on KYC documents submitted. If a FASTag for instance bought for one Car is used for a Truck then such FASTag shall get blacklisted resulting into denial of vehicle passage from FASTag lanes on Toll Plazas. FASTag users are advised to desist from such practice.
What do I have to do if I lost my FASTag?
What will happen to the account balance? You will need to call customer care number of the issuer agency to block your FASTag. Once you take a new account, the issuer agency will transfer the balance to the new account.
Can FASTag be used at places other than National highways?
It is planned to extend usage of FASTag to toll plazas at State highways for tolling, parking lots for parking charge and various other payments at wayside amenities.